Pages

Search This Blog

11/02/2013


Why do I love comic books?  There are so many reasons why. 

1.       Firstly, I feel as though I am visiting my old friends from childhood, especially when I’m reading comics with some of favorite childhood heroes, namely the X-men.  When I was a child I felt very close to the X-men of the Chris Claremont days.  I was privy to some of their most intimate secrets; I could share in their joys and their sorrows, the comical experiences of their lives as well as the tragic.

2.       I can be introduced to new characters that I can relate to as an adult. Mature themes have a more personal relevance to me as an adult, than as a pubescent adolescent. Some examples of this are Kabuki by David Mack, American Vampire, and The Unwritten.

3.       We can all appreciate the art found within the pages of some comic books and graphic novels.  The beauty of Alex Ross’s paintings or David Mack’s mixed media creations is astounding.

4.       The stories themselves can be of surreal beauty, especially in the hands of a master for example, Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey.  Stories, in any form have the ability to teach us, activate our empathy, send us on a roller coaster ride of emotions, stimulate the bubbling of ideas within us, and inspire us.  What a wondrous thing.

5.       Some comic books are rare collector’s items that increase in monetary value.  This shouldn’t be the main reason to purchase them, but when one discovers a comic book of high resale value; it can put a smile on one’s face, even if you never intend to sell that particular comic book. 

These are some of the main reasons that I love comic books.  If I think of any more, I’ll post them in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment